Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Metal, keep it or scrap it

Steve B wrote:
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Have about 12 pieces of galvanized sheet metal duct (rectangular).
Most of it is 36 inch long sections about 24 inches across and 12
inches high. If I undid the seam and unfolded the metal I would end
up with 30" x 60" ± pieces. Do I keep them for unforeseen projects or
do I spend the gasoline to take them to the scrap yard.
I do own an English wheel and a 3-in-1 metal machine. Don't need a
bunch of little boxes but making them would elevate my skills. Also
plan on someday putting 'fins' on my 1995 el-cheepo Toyota Tercel.
One day I would like to build a side car for my vintage motorcycle.

Wife says toss it. I'm ambivalent. I do have the storage space, but,
at the same time, when it comes to making the side car I don't mind
spending a few dollars on the correct material instead of used
galvanized.

Please advise. What would you do?

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

reply: My experience is that even if I have had something for ten years, if
I get rid of it, I will need exactly that within five days.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

My experience with recycling metal and im a metal worker for my living
is ill cut it up into flat sheets and leave some with thebendsin them.
Save having to bend up some at a later date.
What I use to cut up light weight sheet is an electric shear. Makesit
very fast to do.
If your into wood burning then sheets flattened out are better than
sheet plastic for covering over piles of cordwood.
Its almost impossible to get bends out of sheet metal so its as flat as
unbent .
The challenge I enjoy is finding a way of doing what I want without
having to spend a fortune.
IE im a mender not a spender.
Tho some 10 yrs ago a local mobile home builder needed some chritsmas
pocket money and weighed in to my local scrap yard 70 8ft by 4ft
new ali sheets 1mm thick. I had the lot of course at 10 % over scrap price.
Will use it some day, AND if im ever broke can weight it in what with
ali prices double what i paid then.
Ted
Dorset
UK