Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Segmented Birch Bowl

On 09/30/2010 08:15 PM, tom koehler wrote:
it is good for me to see what others are doing with using small pieces of
wood for larger turnings. I am encouraged to try this. In all the years I've
been turning, I have never glued up more than 2 different pieces of wood for
a project. I just started gluing up a piece today for a project. It is a bit
hard for me to visualize what the thing might look like, while there is still
glue and clamps, and maybe more gluing in the offing. I think there may be a
temptation to go overboard on somethinglike this, so I'm going to be pretty
conservative on this project. Thanks for posting your work. Looks good!

There's a lot of resources on the web for segmented turning. I find the
most important thing is a cutoff sled set at the appropriate angle. In
my case I'm doing 12 segment rings, so 15 degrees is the setting.
Accuracy and repeatability is the key. You may have to mess with it a
bit to get it dialed in, but once you have good tight joints you're golden.

It's a great way to use up scraps. A lot of segmented turning is really
fancy, but really, even a bowl with a single type of wood can be very
nice. As the bowl is turned, each segment reflects light differently so
you get a lot of chatoyance. The most important thing is a pleasing
form. A good shape with plain wood beats fancy wood with a lousy shape
any day.

Automotive band (hose) clamps work great for gluing the segmentes into
rings.

Be fun to see how your project turns out - hope you post it...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska