Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Cheap Linear Bearing Solution

On 9/30/2010 4:33 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Sep 28, 2:30 pm,
wrote:
I'm still struggling with my X,Y tables for my H-mortiser. I've tried
full extension drawer guides and they had way too much vertical
slop.

Long-extension drawer guides will keep the motion parallel, but
aren't intended for precision positioning (there will be a millimeter
or three 'slop'). A pre-tensioned linear bearing is expensive
(even the circular plastic ferrule gizmos have to be precision-cut,
which is not an easy task in plastic).

Can you add something, like a featherboard, to provide a preload
force on the drawer glide? A hydraulic tensioner would be
ideal, like maybe a spring-assist shock absorber. You'll want
two axes, so two such will be required, along with suitable
slide plates or rollers to engage the moving part.
Some drawer glides engage balls in V-slots, you can use
two of these and apply the load pressure between the two glides.
The stationary 'plate', then, becomes a ZZZ-frame, with parallelogram
type linkage so the glides stay parallel, and the shock to keep
the load force will be anti-diagonal to the linkage.

Therein above, lies the reason the JDS Multi-Router, is an expensive,
well engineered piece of precision equipment ... and worth the price for
a small production run shop.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010