Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default DVD Burner?

homey wrote:

On 9/29/2010 12:44 AM, Bitrex wrote:
On 9/28/2010 11:45 PM, homey wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:59:11 -0400, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Nico Coesel wrote:

Jim
wrote:

In keeping with my policy of staying way behind the bleeding edge of
technology, the only DVD burner I have is a stand-alone Sony unit
that
I feed video from my camcorder or DVD player.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend for an external DVD burner
that's
easy to move from PC to PC?

Avoid anything with a parallel port. USB is the way to go these days.

I've never seen a parallel port DVD burner.

CD writer, yes. Eg. HP 7200e, but that's probably more than a decade
old.

I have a couple parallel port CDROM drives, but the idea of using a
parallel port for a DVD? It would be a very slow& painful process.

And why would that be? In this case, a parallel port moves 8 bits at a
time compared with 1 for USB. The drive can cache as much as it wants
and in a flat out race, USB would always loose.

But the transfer rate of the parallel port is ultimately limited by its
clock rate, which for backwards-compatibility reasons is going to be
limited to the clock rate of the original ISA bus, which was 8Mhz. ECP
transfer mode could do something like 1.5 MB/s, which even USB 1.0 full
speed easily beats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1284

There isn't any reason parallel printers ports couldn't operate like
SCSI which is a parallel port itself. There's only serial and parallel
and all the Intel singers in the world ain't going to change that.

And you aren't going to change the laws of physics.

enough left over to pay them.