Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Concrete Driveway Repair by City Public Works

"George" wrote in message
On 9/29/2010 8:30 PM, MiamiCuse wrote:
Recently I have identified a water main line leak near my property.
Specifically just outside my property line but under my concrete
driveway.
I reported to the city public works and utilities and they came and cut
open
my driveway to access the pipe for repair.

However, when they were done, they decided to patch the opening not with
concrete but with black asphalt. Now my driveway looks like this:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/P1000255.jpg

So my question is, is this typical? I don't like this big black patch on
my
driveway, although technically it is outside of my property line. I did
not
call the city to see if this can be remedied, and if not, is there
something
I can do myself, by pouring a thin coat of hydraulic cement over the
entire
black area will it look better or will it crack under the weight of a
car?

Thanks in advance,

MC

What did the city tell you when you asked them about the final result? You
may have forgotten they are your employees and you get to share in the tab
for running the city?

In my area they would do it exactly like like your photo and wait till
there were a number to do and then a concrete contractor would be hired to
do them en masse. They do the same when they cut the an asphalt road to do
a repair.

Yeah, the patch looks like cold mix asphalt patching material used for
temporary patches. It doesn't look like compacted hot mix, just shoveled in
and raked out, traffic will compact it a little. Your town should tell you
how they will resolve the problem and provide you with a rough timetable.
They also may also forget about it altogether unless you become the
"squeaking wheel" and regularly bug them.