Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default PT wood

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:46 am, KC wrote:
On Sep 29, 11:24 pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Where's good old creosote when you need it? We once had stuff that
killed termites, prevented wood rot, toilets that flushed, no bed
bugs and shower heads that would blow you out of the shower. I think
our technology is devolving. 8-)

AMEN, bro!

It's not the epa. PT wood has always had penetration issues. They
want to cycle the wood through the pressure chamber as fast as they
can. And they don't want to make sure the wood is properly dried
before hand. So it's almost impossible to get saturation all the way
through. Any cracks or end cuts expose what is basically untreated
wood.

I used that tree cut repair tar to coat pt wood in situations where
I'm going to bury it and it's critical that it not rot.

Well, it certainly is EPA that has banned many of the earlier products
and it isn't at all clear the replacements are as good (and in some
instances it's pretty clear they're not). Whether it's an overall win
is probably debatable in some instances (I'm yet to be convinced there
was any real significant issue in the PT case that needed to be fixed)
but otoh, DDT clearly had some significant unintended consequences used
as widely as it was initially.