Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default OT-ish: cleaning binoculars lenses

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Collimation obviously goes to lunch when you dismantle binoculars, so
getting them back together afterwards is indeed an issue. Hopefully
though (and this is true for everything small and cheap) it's a re-
assembly task onto static marks. As discussed, binoculars avoid
collimation adjustments for the sake of robustness. If you have any,
the first place they'll appear is around the prism. This is because
prisms aren't as easy to self-align as a simple Gallilean telescope
tube.

What have opera glasses got to do with binos? Why introduce them here? You
do know that a Galilean telescope doesn't use optics the same as a set of
binoculars? Except maybe a few "focus" free models and opera glasses.

Even then, you're not going to see adjustments here unless
you're dealing with three things simultaneously: high quality, high
magnification, fixed mount. "Field" binoculars avoid adjustments.

As I said you just don't know where to look.
I will give you a hint, they are aligned in the factory by hand which is why
Chinese stuff is cheaper, the hands cost less.
If you look you may even find some alignment marks on the lenses put there
so they could be assembled after testing.
Of course they only allow for alignment in one axis.