Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default DVD Burner?

Jamie wrote:

homey wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:59:11 -0400, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Nico Coesel wrote:

Jim
wrote:

In keeping with my policy of staying way behind the bleeding edge of
technology, the only DVD burner I have is a stand-alone Sony unit
that
I feed video from my camcorder or DVD player.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend for an external DVD burner
that's
easy to move from PC to PC?

Avoid anything with a parallel port. USB is the way to go these days.

I've never seen a parallel port DVD burner.

CD writer, yes. Eg. HP 7200e, but that's probably more than a decade
old.

I have a couple parallel port CDROM drives, but the idea of using a
parallel port for a DVD? It would be a very slow& painful process.

And why would that be? In this case, a parallel port moves 8 bits at a
time compared with 1 for USB. The drive can cache as much as it wants
and in a flat out race, USB would always loose.

It's all about marketing.. Saving copper etc...

Bull****. No 'Centronics' printer was designed for those speeds, so
a fasater version would be yset another port to contend with. Only an
idiot like you doesn't know the difference.

It's easy to convince people that a good method is not
good by simply not implementing a faster version of it and
instead, make a single wire system that uses less material and
say it's better technology..

That's why you're convinced that you know everything.

Sheep and lambs. what a herding., that's it!

Speak for yourself, wool boy. Just stay away from Phil, or you'll
never get out of his basement.

enough left over to pay them.