Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan ChairMan is offline

Default PT wood

In ,
The Daring Dufas spewed forth:
On 9/29/2010 10:52 PM, KC wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:51 wrote:
I walked over to my woodpile to pick out a few pieces for a small
job. I had some 2x6 PT stacked on the ground - these pieces had
been there about 3 years. I turn them over and ....... riddled
with termite damage to the point they had zero value.

Kind of reminds me of the last time I was in Lowes. I looked at
their PT lumber and it had mold growing on it. No kidding. Anyone
else seeing serious deterioration of building materials?

I had the same thing happen to me with PT 4x4's from Lowes (top
choice). I carried them back to Lowes and complained. The
department manager said the warranty was from the supplier and not
Lowes so they wouldn't do anything. I asked for the store manager. He
said to get replacements off the pile out front, but he wasn't
happy about it. The problem is that the treatment does not penetrate all
the way
through the wood. It leaves an untreated center. As the wood cracks
& splits as it normally does, it leaves an opening for termites to
enter and eat out the untreated portions. You then end up with a
hollow shell of wood.

Where's good old creosote when you need it? We once had stuff that
killed termites, prevented wood rot, toilets that flushed, no bed
bugs and shower heads that would blow you out of the shower. I think
our technology is devolving. 8-)

TDD

butz you gitz ta feelz good fer da chillrens