Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Segmented Birch Bowl, text & photo 1

Casper wrote:

Very nice work Kevin. I have not yet tried segmentation. Most of the
segmented work our club has done has left me wanting for better. But I
have seen some really interesting southwestern designs done with
segmentation. Anyway looks great, keep it up!

Thanks. It seems it can be really nice or really funky. My work to
date has been pretty simple compared to the a lot of the SW design stuff
out there. I hope to get more complicated but it takes a lot of time!
Even simpler designs can be pleasing though, and I think the scalloped
walnut works pretty well. Clean, simple accent IMHO.

One of the things I've noticed is that sometimes folks will try to rely
on the segmentation to carry the piece. To work, it needs to also have
a pleasing shape. Without that, it's just lipstick on a pig as the
saying goes. Usually I'm happy with the form. Not always. One book
that really helped me was Raffan's "Turned Bowl Design".

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska