Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default CPVC/PVC plumbing questions

On Sep 29, 7:48*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 29, 10:03*am, HerHusband wrote:

I had some sticks of CPVC left over from a project about 10 years
ago. *They were stored inside my shop. *When I went to use them for
another project this week, I found that they had turned brittle, to
the point that PVC cutters would shatter them rather than cut thru
them. *Don't know what this says about installed CPVC other than I
hope I never have to splice into an older install.

Were your pipes exposed to sunlight? If I remember correctly, CPVC does not
have UV protection, which would probably cause the pipe to break down in
sunlight. (Grey PVC conduit does have UV protection).

I agree. *Sounds like it was exposed to uv. *I have cpvc in my lake
house. *It's 8 years old and it cuts fine.

Mine is around 25-30 years old, no problems.

Harry K