Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Weed Killer

On Sep 28, 9:29*pm, willshak wrote:
RickH wrote the following:

On Sep 28, 2:29 pm, wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:24:59 -0700 (PDT), RickH

wrote:

On Sep 26, 4:31 pm, "ROANIN" wrote:

Saw a post a while ago about making weed killer using vinegar and something
else. Cannot find the post now. Can someone repost the formula?

Thanks,

Can anyone say how effective this is?

It sounds perfect for "flooding" my patio pavers so it goes deep
between them without leaving a toxic residue soaking into the brick.
There is a restaurant supply here that has great prices on vinegar.
It will clean the pavers too if I use it as an acid wash and get
killer down between the pavers at the same time while scrubbing.
Please post how effective it is as a weed kill. *I suppose muratic
acid will work too but that is really harsh.

Roundup kills the ROOTS so the weeds go down and STAY down. Vinegar is
a very temporary measure.

But I dont want roundup soaked into the brick as a residue.

Are you planning to plant some flowers or vegetables between the patio
bricks?
FWIW, I dump the muriatic acid used to clean the pool's DE filters
fingers on the patio after I close the pool for the season.
The freakin' moss and weeds still comes up between the bricks the next year.
I also spray the patio with roundup in the early spring.
I spend a lot of money trying to get grass to grow in my clay filled
lawn, but a few grains of windblown dirt on my patio is enough to
support a sprout of grass between the blocks.
Go figure!
In case you are wondering, this patio was built using more than the
appropriate underlayments. The trenches were over excavated, much to the
dismay of the contractor who had to use more gravel and sand than usual
for the contracted price.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Same problem. Mine has an 18 inch bed of gravel topped by a 6 inch
bed of limestone screening topped by the pavers and pavers are tightly
butted. Weed seed still gets in there. I want to "flood" the whole
patio rather than just spray the joints so I can get killer down, but
dont want chemical hebicide imbeded into bricks. Spraying the joints
literally takes all day, I want to flood whole patio with a non-toxic
herbicide and watering can maybe once a month.