Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Help Explain Please

On Sep 28, 5:57*pm, "CW" wrote:

I do not use a dial indicator in the (wood) shop and I will put up my
results against anyone's. No test cuts needed. Done entirely by feel.

I, on the other hand, use dial indicators sometimes (if I want to
adjust a tablesaw fence a few thousandths left or right, it's
easiest),
and dial calipers (a 12" caliper is VERY nice for woodworking) and
gauge blocks and story sticks and tape measures and feeler gauges
and meter sticks and micrometers and gauge pins and a
measuring microscope.

Sometimes the results are best if done by feel; that's why I use
feeler
gauges to check dovetail fits. It tells me that the fit is off, and
also HOW FAR it's off. One adjustment, then straight into production.