Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default DVD Burner?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 23:45:04 -0400, homey wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:59:11 -0400, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
Nico Coesel wrote:
Jim

In keeping with my policy of staying way behind the bleeding edge of
technology, the only DVD burner I have is a stand-alone Sony unit
that I feed video from my camcorder or DVD player.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend for an external DVD burner
that's easy to move from PC to PC?

Avoid anything with a parallel port. USB is the way to go these days.

I've never seen a parallel port DVD burner.

CD writer, yes. Eg. HP 7200e, but that's probably more than a decade
old.

I have a couple parallel port CDROM drives, but the idea of using a
parallel port for a DVD? It would be a very slow& painful process.

And why would that be? In this case, a parallel port moves 8 bits at a
time compared with 1 for USB. The drive can cache as much as it wants and
in a flat out race, USB would always loose.

I'd think if the device driver writer knows his/her elbow from a hole in
the ground, the parallel port could probably run at the speed of the
internal data bus, which is what? 133 MBPS?

Thanks,
Rich