Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Fein Vacuums: Adapting to 2.5" Hoses?

On Sep 28, 4:00*pm, Woody wrote:
On 9/27/2010 7:13 PM, Doug White wrote:

My 8 gallon ShopVac just died. *My biggest complaint (other than cheap
motor bearings) is that even the "Quiet Suction Power" version is still
too loud to run without ear protection for more than a few seconds.

I can blow $67 and get another one, or I could spend some serious $$ and
get a much quieter vac like a Fein. *Aside from the money, one concern I
have is that I have one machine plumbed with ShopVac 2.5" diameter hose,
including Loc-Line fittings:

http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-...System/25-kits

I haven't been able to find any adapters that specifically allow one to
plug a 2.5" diameter hose into a Fein vacuum. *I'm looking at the Fein
Turbo II as the best compromise on sound, capacity& *money. *It comes
with a long *1 1/4" hose, but it looks like the fitting on the front is a
good bit larger.

Does anyone have any experience in connecting 2.5" hose to a Fein Turbo I
or II (they use the same size hose). *Lots of places (like Rockler,
Woodcraft, etc.) sell 2.5" hose& *fittings, so it's a pretty common size
in the US. *Bosch seems to have some adapters, but nothing (surprise)
that anyone says will fit a Fein.

Other comments on Feins would be welcome. *It will actually mostly be
used in my metal shop, so it will be dealing with chips rather than dust,
so I'm planning on using the coarsest filters for added efficiency. *I
assume I'll still need a bag, but I won't need a HEPA filter.

Thanks!

Doug White

Doug:

I *think* the hose size is actually 2.25". I've got the Turbo III (when
it was about 2/3 current price). I bought all sorts of attachments at
Home Depot including 1.25 to 2.25 adapters. Seems the Ridgid vacuum
tools fit the Fein well. Good luck.

~Mark.

A fellow I talk to on line has 2 Turbo III's and uses them to vacuum
form plastic. Those are some serious suckers. Noticeably more powerful
than the Turbo II or the CT 22 Festool.... but quite a bit more money
too. They make an all metal version of that too...*drool* stainless
no less....
The drawback of the TurboIII is total wattage when you plug in a
Festool Rotex. 15 am breakers will pop due to the higher power demand
from the vac. It is also a lot bigger so less desirable for use on-
site in domestic installation.