Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Help Explain Please

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Every time a read an article from FWW regarding table saw alignment or
miter gauge alignment that involves trial and error test cuts and
plastic squares, a little bit of vomit climbs my throat. Never do
they mention the more accurate methods that involve a dial indicator.
Why? Do they assume their readers are not smart enough to pick it
up? Do they think their readers can't afford a dial indicator? Do
they themselves not understand the principles behind proper alignment?

exhibit A: http://tinyurl.com/275ccl6
exhibit B: http://tinyurl.com/2ayvqvs

Why, because you don't need a dial indicator to peoperly set up your saw.
Granted a dial indicator makes it a bit more precise but for the most part
you can not see the cut error that may look huge on a dial indicator, .0005"
For example, do you use your dial indicator to set your rip fence when
changing widths to cut? Does it really matter if the rip width is 3.01" vs.
3", not normally.

For setting up the saw, a trial cut will show you if the cut is satisfactory
or not. A dial indicator does no help you make the adjustment from that
point, it simply lets you know how much you need to adjust, my trial cut and
using with my eyes does the same thing. I don't need the indicator to tell
me that I see a gap.

I do have a dial indicator and used it to check blade alignemnt to the miter
slot and arbor run out on my new cabinet saw, that was 11 years ago. No
adjustment was necessary and I have not used the dial indicator since.

Further, technique will often completely erase out a dialed in accuracy.
For instance my miter gauge has positive stops for the common angles and it
makes accurate smooth silky cuts that would satisy any one. When I align my
rip fence to the miter slot you would think that it too would yield the same
results. Not for me, that alignment is the one that I go with trial cuts to
get the smooth and with out tooth mark cuts.

I always go with the resulting cut as the final adjustment vs the
measurement indicated by a dial indicator.