Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling and tapping 200+ 3/8" holes in 3/4" aluminum

On 09/27/2010 03:15 PM, Ignoramus21149 wrote:

And, you won't believe what a MESS this will make, if you ever mess up
and have the spindle running at the wrong speed for the calculated
feedrate. been there, done that!

What will happen, it will tear the tap out of the collet?

Well, depends on the tap and the material. I was not using a compliant
holder, but a Procunier 15000 "CNC" tapping head. So, there was only
about .020" clearance in the tapping head. I had the belt in the wrong
groove so the spindle was turning too slow by at least 30%. it just
mashed a 6-32 tap through the holes, without breaking it! Basically
like a drill with WAY too mugh feed. I was amazed later when I figured
out what had gone wrong.

Jon