Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Credit - Roton - Screw It

On 09/27/2010 04:54 PM, wrote:

This is typical of a webified manual process. Probably if you'd
phoned in the order, they could have told you what the freight was
going to be, added it all up and run it through their POS terminal
with no problems. They probably couldn't justify a 24/7 web charge
card service at the time they put their web site together, what they
don't realize is what a poor implementation costs them.

Geez, this ISN'T that hard!

I am a one-man business. I do everything from IT to collecting garbage,
machining, design, soldering, shipping, testing.

I got an open-source commerce program called OScMax, and customized it
without buying their expensive add-on packages. I set up accounts with
USPS and FedEx, and got them approved for automated (script) access. I
opened a merchant account with one of the many outfits in that business,
and set up script access to them, too. OScMax pretty much
automates all of the credit card processing stuff for the major outfits,
you just type in the user ID and passwords, etc.

It is all automatic, the user puts items in their shopping cart, clicks
"checkout", they see prices and delivery times and select one, and then
get switched over the the payment gateway site to enter their credit
card info into the secure processor's system. I get emails for the
credit card entry and then at the end of the day for the daily batch.

I pay $39 a month for the card processor, plus the typical fee based on
transaction amount.

Any decent web guy should be able to set this up in a couple days the
FIRST time, and probably in a couple hours the next time.

All I have to do is select the items, figure out the weight and pack
them, OScMax even prints out shipping labels.

Jon