Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Weight of slate roof versus weight of cement tile roofreplacement?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:20:34 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

N_Cook wrote:
Or as tile and slate seems about the same weight per sq foot, what is
the amount of overlap for slates and for tiles?

Dunno. But around here there are hundreds of Victorian terraced houses.
Those with slate roofs are fine, those with concrete tile all have a
pronounced 'dip' in the ridge.

I believe its a good idea to reinforce the roof structure to avoid this.

Our house (1903) was originally slate roofed. There used to be a roofing
company right next door, and they re-did the whole lot at once before we
moved, in with cement tiles.

Our surveyor picked this up and recommended reinforcement. Best idea
would have been new purlins, but that was too major, so we ended up
having supports for the purlins internally. That's been fine for 16 years.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org