Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default OT Here is an example of pseudo science.

On 28 Sep, 10:19, Ronald Raygun wrote:
harry wrote:
On 27 Sep, 21:31, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 28/09/2010 5:51 a.m., harry wrote:

An ordinary sail boat can sail faster than the wind without the
benifit of strange turbines.
It's common *knowledge to anyone with even a slight knowledge of
physics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing..._than_the_wind

Yes, I know about sailing. *Did you read the post? *Here, I'll cut out
the appropriate part for you, to make it easier:
"A wind powered boat or vehicle that could sail or drive directly into
the wind using a turbine facing the wind to drive a water prop or wheels"
Do you see the reference to "using a turbine"? *OK, now the question is
this: "Can a WIND TURBINE-POWERED vessel or vehicle go faster than the
wind DIRECTLY DOWNWIND?" *Think about it.
By the way, a sail-driven craft cannot go faster than the wind DIRECTLY
DOWNWIND either. *Get it? *Your slight knowledge of physics should be
adequate to grasp this.- Hide quoted text -

Obviously is soon as it went "as fast as the wind downwind" there
would be no wind (relative to the machine/boat etc). Therefore
impossible.

No, that's a faulty conclusion. *It correctly answers the wrong question.