Stephen M

Default Build or Buy Dining Room Table?

How do you spell "tool buying opportunity"?

Yeah baby! here is how I would spend that $1200

Planer: $300
Jointer $400
Router bits $75 (perhaps a nice big bit for the edge profile )
Fuzzy board math:
10'x40" top = 33sf x 1.25 (5/4 stock)= 42bf + Apron and legs(35bf) = 75 +
waste =100bf x$3/bf
$300 rough-cut oak (really rough estimate)
$50 finishing supplies
$50 Bouquet for table
$25 Case of decent beer

Knowing you did it yourself: Priceless

BTW, not having a belt sander is probably a good thing. You will eventually
get one, and the first time that you use it, you will know why.

"Shawn" wrote in message
om...
Hey all,

We sold our 6ft pine retangular dining table, and have been shopping
around for new ones. The only one we REALLY like is a DINEC table.
It is about 7ft long and then extendes to around 10 or 11ft. We need
to seat 10 people comfortably, with the option to seat 12. The
problem with this table is that it will take 4 months to come in and
the cost is around $1200-1300. So, I have to ask myself, would it be
cheaper to build and have some of that $$$ go towards tools?

I haven't built anything that large yet so I was wondering what do you
think it would cost to build something just like the dintec and how
hard would it be?? I have a tablesaw, router/rtr table, random orbital
sander, jig saw. No planer, jointer, belt sander. I was thinking
about building it with ask or oak, or someother hardwood that we can
stain a chocolate/coca color. The table would be in the simple shaker
style, with a retangular top, straight apron, taperd legs, and two or
three extensions.

Any advice would be AWESOME!