Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lee Valley

wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 07:26:27 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Low grade bolts could cost them a lot of money if they are not
labeled correctly or with warnings. Tractors and trucks rely on
quality bolts that don't break or snap apart. Head stamps helps
this. But false stamps are rampant. They even got into the
airline industry.

Not at all. Neither the OP or myself said they were labeled
improperly. You can buy low grade bolts anywhere. It would be your
choice to do so. My response was that one would not need to buy
large quantities is one bought a higher grade fastener.

You tell me how buying a higher grade fastener would replace 100
bolts required for a job that REQUIRES 100 holes be filled, and does
not require the hardness or tensile strength of a grade 5 or grade 8
bolt - with the prescribed 3/8NC bolts being overstrength for the
application by 150% or more??????

Simple misunderstanding from the way you originally posted. It was easy to
interpret what you wrote to mean that you bought a lot (large quantity)
because the quality was low. Sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote - but
it did look to me like you were making a quality statement.

--

-Mike-