Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Fein Vacuums: Adapting to 2.5" Hoses?

Robatoy wrote in
:

On Sep 27, 7:13*pm, Doug White wrote:
My 8 gallon ShopVac just died. *My biggest complaint (other than
cheap motor bearings) is that even the "Quiet Suction Power" version
is still too loud to run without ear protection for more than a few
seconds.

I can blow $67 and get another one, or I could spend some serious $$
and get a much quieter vac like a Fein. *Aside from the money, one
concern

have is that I have one machine plumbed with ShopVac 2.5" diameter
hose, including Loc-Line fittings:

http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-...System/25-kits

I haven't been able to find any adapters that specifically allow one
to plug a 2.5" diameter hose into a Fein vacuum. *I'm looking at the
Fein Turbo II as the best compromise on sound, capacity & money. *It
comes with a long *1 1/4" hose, but it looks like the fitting on the
front is

good bit larger.

Does anyone have any experience in connecting 2.5" hose to a Fein
Turbo I or II (they use the same size hose). *Lots of places (like
Rockler, Woodcraft, etc.) sell 2.5" hose & fittings, so it's a pretty
common size in the US. *Bosch seems to have some adapters, but
nothing (surprise) that anyone says will fit a Fein.

Other comments on Feins would be welcome. *It will actually mostly be
used in my metal shop, so it will be dealing with chips rather than
dust, so I'm planning on using the coarsest filters for added
efficiency. *I assume I'll still need a bag, but I won't need a HEPA
filter.

Thanks!

Doug White

A 2.5 hose fits in the hole. I am not aware of any locking connections
other than the one which locks the 1 1/4" hose.
The big deal about the Fein is that it has two air systems, one to
cool the motor, one for suction.
I have nothing but good things to say about Fein. I have had the CT 22
Festool to compare and came down on the side of the Fein again and
again. One time, I put a Veritas (Lee Valley) cyclone dust collection
lid on a metal garbage can just to watch the can crumple like a used
bag of chips. True story.
Did you know that a lot of cnc router guys use the Fein as a vacuum
hold-down for their routers?

Do you mean that the hard plastic male collar on a 2 1/2" Shop Vac hose
will just plug into the Fein?! That is amazing. I gotta get to a store
& check this out. What on earth possesed the Germans to do that..?

Thanks!

Doug White