Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Drilling and tapping 200+ 3/8" holes in 3/4" aluminum

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 07:22:47 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

This makes me wonder: Is there a machine where a machinist could make one
part "by hand", i.e., in the normal way you'd use a regular mill or
whatever, but where the machine could record the machinist's actions, and
then "play them back" for the next part? Or is it only possible to drive
an NC by writing a string of textual commands?

My control has a "teach" mode to record points but you still eidt to make
a program. I never used one but the bridegeport protrack was supposed to
do this.

Thanks; I was just curious, but it sounds like a fascinating opportunity
for a geek like me (microprocessor programmer) who dabbles in mechanical
stuff...

Thanks!
Rich