Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Drilling and tapping 200+ 3/8" holes in 3/4" aluminum

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 05:06:02 -0700, wrote:
On Sep 26, 10:23*pm, Ignoramus24898

Spot drill if you need to hold +/- .002 location, stub drill maybe +/-
.005, *regular drill maybe +/- .010 or worse. So how accurate
determines answer.

I will use a spot drill indeed. Full diameter holes with spot drill,
perhaps 1/8" deep, to provide guidance for the regular drill.

If I were doing this on a manual mill, I would spot drill with a drill
whose diameter is about the size of the web of the drill used for the
hole.

Do people use the terms "drill" and "drill bit" almost interchangeably?

To me, the "drill" is the part with the motor, that turns the "bit."

Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Rich