Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Drilling and tapping 200+ 3/8" holes in 3/4" aluminum

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:32:26 -0700, Rich Grise
On 2010-09-26, Karl Townsend wrote:

Spot drill if you need to hold +/- .002 location, stub drill maybe +/-
.005, regular drill maybe +/- .010 or worse. So how accurate
determines answer.

I will use a spot drill indeed. Full diameter holes with spot drill,
perhaps 1/8" deep, to provide guidance for the regular drill.

Is a "spot drill" the same thing as a "center drill"? (it kind of sounds
like it, from Karl's info here.)

No, they are different. A spot drill looks like a drill bit with a special
grind point.

Ah. Thanks. I sit in an office and fly a desk, while right outside my door
are a couple of machinists and weldors - on one side of the shop, we take
big pieces of metal and turn them into little pieces of metal, and on the
other side, we take small pieces of metal and turn them into big pieces
of metal. :-)

On break, the only people I have to talk to, other than the boss and his
secretary, are the machinists - When I'm chatting someone up, I like to
be able to speak the same language as they. :-)

I do know what "spot-facing" is, however. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich