Default What can you with a lathe?

NoNameAtAll wrote:
Way back in middle school the lathe was one of my favorite tools in shop class.
I'd love to own one, but I'm having a difficult time convncing my wife that I
need it. We just made candle holders in shop class, and while I'm sure it's
great for things like table legs, lamps, and baseball bats I have to concede
that I really can't think of any practical uses for it since I don't have any
need to make any of those things. Actually making a homemade baseball bat would
be kind of neat but it's tough to justify buying a lathe just for that. If you
can help me convince my wife (and myself for that matter) of the usefulness of
a lathe I'll be eternally grateful.

I own a mini and a midi lathe. One will turn up to 6" diameter the
other over a ft. Both will turn small things, candlesticks, pens etc,
but only the larger will turn things like bolws adequately. Let's face
it, a 6" diameter bowl doesn't hold a lot of salad. On the other hand
it makes nice small bowls for the dashboard (toll change) or next to the
bed, pocket contents. What my wife likes about it is that she doesn't
have to worry about presents, Xmas or otherwise. A fancy salad and soup
set is a nice wedding present, homemade oraments are nice Xmas
presents. If you have kids ANYTHING they make is a nice grandparent
present. Just remember a big lathe can turn small, the other way
doesn't work.
Hope that helps,
Dave in Fairfax
--