Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default SATA-to-USB Adapter

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:13:09 -0700, isw wrote:
I have one that works fine with a 500 GB hard drive, but will not work
at all with a DVD burner I just got. Another SATA-USB adapter runs it
just fine.

So is the first one "for hard drives only", or is it defective?

Isaac

It's probably a device driver issue. If it has never worked for you than
it is a setup issue, not a repair issue.

As I already said:

The adapter works fine with a different drive (a standard hard drive,
not an optical one).

The new DVD burner works fine with a different SATA-USB adapter.

Try posting to an approrpiate newsgroup. If there's software involved,
a good place to start would be with a newsgroup for the particular
operating system you use.

No software is involved.

Hint: driver advice for linux or mac won't help you if you run windows,
advice for windows version 7 won't help you if you run windows xp,
98, etc.

Well, that's sort of stating the obvious. Of course, often *nothing*
will help you if you run Windows.

Also, in the history of computing, believe it or not, there's been
more than one SATA-USB adapter sold. Why do you think knowing
the maker and model wouldn't be useful information?

Well, it might. If the card had happened to have anything like that on
it, I would have mentioned it. Sadly, it did not.

Isaac