Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default SATA-to-USB Adapter

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:13:09 -0700, isw wrote:

I have one that works fine with a 500 GB hard drive, but will not work
at all with a DVD burner I just got. Another SATA-USB adapter runs it
just fine.

So is the first one "for hard drives only", or is it defective?

Isaac

What do the user instructions say?

There are none.

Did you visit the manufacturer's website for additional information on the product?

There are no markings on the board (it was inside a case before I pulled
it out).

Are you trying to adapt an eSATA to external USB drive or visa versa?

My ATA disc burner died. I could not find another ATA drive, so I got a
SATA. The SATA to USB card has been working just fine just fine on a 500
GB hard drive. When I stick it on the DVD burner, I can open and close
the tray from the Mac, but the burn software always reports that there
is an "unreadable" CD-RW in the drive, no matter what is actually in
there. When I stick a disc in, the laser traverses a few times, but
that's all that ever happens.

It's probably an older adapter, so I was wondering if it might not be
able to handle a burner.

Isaac