Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default What Happened To The Group?

AGREE RE RIAA - and there are some simple solutions to this:

1. don't buy music from stores or on line, buy it only directly from the
artist
2. tell your young friends of the evils of the music industry and entreat
them to do the same - support the artist but abhor the commercial recording
industry
3. take all possible steps to overturn, avoid, or otherwise eviscerate the
DCMA - which is a vast overreach of power to pure commercial interests and
certainly goes against American values.

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
R.I.A.A. - the standards and big head group that moves money around
for royalties of Music - started suing Network companies since people were
supporting newsgroups that had binary files of music. They are the nice
people who filed upon a Middle aged mother (husband passed or such)
because
her young teen had downloaded some music. Not much, but they, RIAA wanted
and
demanded millions. It hit the national news for a while. Then hushed.

They then came after each and every ISP demanding the death of news
groups.
They didn't demand no binary files - they wanted it all gone or be sued.

Many an ISP went the way of the threat and killed the service with an axe.
When Consolidated killed their news feeds - Tech support didn't know as of
yet. They were debugging it left and right with tons of customers on
their
necks.

I think RIAA has to much money and to big of a head. I don't do it, but
killing off ways of life is wrong. Maybe we should vote to take the
tasks away from them and create a new company.

Of 13 newsgroup feeds I subscribe to (some are duplicates) 4 and sometimes
5
have more than a few items.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/26/2010 11:50 AM, charlie b wrote:
The group use to be pretty active, with lots of participants doing all
sorts
of things. WHAT HAPPENED?

Did ATT dropping newservers nearly wipe out the group?

I miss MUSINGS!