Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wring out a lot of wire

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:43:54 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Each input is pretty simple, if it is made it conducts voltage. But
doing this many at once becomes a snow storm. Any suggestions on best
approach?

I would group a lot of resistors and tie one end of all of the to
ground to ground. Use in multiples of 10, like 10, 100, 1k, 10k, 100k,
1M, 10M ohms to make it obvious which wire is which. Then probe the
wires at the other end. In seven passes you can identify the entire
cable.

I use one of these...

http://www.valley-ent.com/catalog/ca...ker-p-400.html

I came up with the resistor method when I had to ring out about 70
pairs in a school building, and the ends were over 1/4 mile apart. Some
kids had vandalized the intercom by breaking into a 24" * 24" junction
box. They ripped out all the wire nuts, then removed all the little
jewlwery store type paper tags my competiton used on their jobs. Only
55 pairs from the office were used. Some were duplicate callback lines,
and others were spares. A telephone type tracer would have required me
to walk over 35 miles to locate each half of each run. because the
campus was huge.

I bought one of these, but I haven't used it yet:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SS35407-TEST&cpc=SCH

enough left over to pay them.