Mike in Mystic

Default What can you with a lathe?

I don't mean this to sound rude, but if you have to ask this question then
why do you even want a lathe in the first place?

Table legs, chair legs, any cylindrical parts (spindles, dowels, furniture
knobs and pulls), bowls, pens, etc. etc. etc. etc. Honestly, the lathe is
one of those things where creativity is key - so having to ask what you
would use it for sort of tells me you wouldn't really use it that much. I
personally don't have much experience with the lathe, but I plan on using it
in the future as I know it will enable me to be much more versatile in my
woodworking.

Mike

"NoNameAtAll" wrote in message
Way back in middle school the lathe was one of my favorite tools in shop

class.
I'd love to own one, but I'm having a difficult time convncing my wife

that I
need it. We just made candle holders in shop class, and while I'm sure

it's
great for things like table legs, lamps, and baseball bats I have to

concede
that I really can't think of any practical uses for it since I don't have

any
need to make any of those things. Actually making a homemade baseball bat

would
be kind of neat but it's tough to justify buying a lathe just for that. If

you
can help me convince my wife (and myself for that matter) of the

usefulness of
a lathe I'll be eternally grateful.