Lee Blaver

Default Swapping meter tails - no consumer fuse

Al wrote:

I have a 30s house with some rubber-coated wiring.
Before replacing this, I'm going to put in a new consumer unit.
Before doing that, I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

My problem:
There is no consumer fuse - tails go straight from the supply cable to
the meter.

I'd doubt that it doesn't have a fuse, what's on the end of the incoming
cable? Our 1930s place had a metal "head" on the end of the cable, the
fuse was in there - although it didn't look like it...
LEB (as was) was quite happy to change it to a modern plastic
cutout+fuse FOC.

At least removing the tails from the junction box is considerably safer
than trying to do it with live tails from the meter

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com