Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What Happened To The Group?

R.I.A.A. - the standards and big head group that moves money around
for royalties of Music - started suing Network companies since people were
supporting newsgroups that had binary files of music. They are the nice
people who filed upon a Middle aged mother (husband passed or such) because
her young teen had downloaded some music. Not much, but they, RIAA wanted and
demanded millions. It hit the national news for a while. Then hushed.

They then came after each and every ISP demanding the death of news groups.
They didn't demand no binary files - they wanted it all gone or be sued.

Many an ISP went the way of the threat and killed the service with an axe.
When Consolidated killed their news feeds - Tech support didn't know as of
yet. They were debugging it left and right with tons of customers on their
necks.

I think RIAA has to much money and to big of a head. I don't do it, but
killing off ways of life is wrong. Maybe we should vote to take the
tasks away from them and create a new company.

Of 13 newsgroup feeds I subscribe to (some are duplicates) 4 and sometimes 5
have more than a few items.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/26/2010 11:50 AM, charlie b wrote:
The group use to be pretty active, with lots of participants doing all
sorts
of things. WHAT HAPPENED?

Did ATT dropping newservers nearly wipe out the group?

I miss MUSINGS!