Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default wring out a lot of wire

On Sep 26, 4:59*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I pulled to the old servo drives out of my Matsurra bed mill and got
all the wire run cables separated as much as possible. Most of the I/O
cables have less than ten conductors and you can deduce what they are
for by where the cable run goes.

I have two fifty conductor cables that go to the operator panel. I'm
guessing fifty inputs on the operator panel so there are a great many
more wires than used. I have no manual for this machine and these
wires aren't numbered. Looks like a REAL MESS to figure out the
function of each wire.

Each input is pretty simple, if it is made it conducts voltage. But
doing this many at once becomes a snow storm. Any suggestions on best
approach?

Karl

Usually the connector is numbered on face or rear or face AND rear.
Sometimes you can come up with a numbering scheme by looking up the
connector in a catalog. Very few manufacturers used proprietary
connectors, they may not be common, but somebody had to have made
them. Anything beyond just a few pairs of wires will have some kind
of numbering scheme or the techs wouldn't be able put the cables
together correctly in the first place or service the thing
afterwards. Usually there's a color code on the wiring, too. I'll
second the other poster about making an extreme effort to get some
kind of service data. Somebody had to fix the things! Otherwise,
you're in for a long session with a buzzer and battery.

Stan