Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PCB Micro drills and micro end mills"

On 2010-09-26, azotic wrote:
?
"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Ignoramus10035 wrote:
eBay is full of those:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_nkw=%22micro+drill%22+carbide

or similar tiny carbide end mills.

[ ... ]

PCB drills are generaly C2 carbide, not recomended for drilling steel.

Though I have used one for drilling out a broken HSS tap. I was
rather amazed at how well it worked. This was in a sensitive drill
press, with the workpiece firmly clamped and lots of speed.

If your gonna buy some on ebay only purchase new ones, used ones
will usually need to be resharpened.

Actually -- I suspect that a lot of the really cheap ones are
from a resharpening facility which after resharpening discovered that
they were just a little shorter than the minimum length for normal use.
This could explain the batches of them which show up dirt cheap at
hamfests and the like.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564