Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Takoy[_2_] Sam Takoy[_2_] is offline

Default electrical box fill

On 9/26/2010 9:44 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/26/2010 09:34 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
On 9/26/2010 9:29 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/26/2010 02:56 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have an old-work 20 cu in junction box. It has two sets of 14-2
cables
spliced: two sets of travelers weren't long enough and had to be
lengthened.

The box uses Ideal connectors which take very little space. All and
all,
the wires already in there take about 1/4 of the available space.

I need to add an outlet to that box (same circuit) which I'm
technically
not allowed to do. However, practically speaking, the box will
hardly be
half full if I do this.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks!

Sam

If it's an old work box why not take it out and use a deeper one?

you say "travelers" but then you mention 14/2... is this a 3-way switch
circuit?

nate

OK, some clarification.

I'm technically not allowed to do this because that would be too many
wires/devices. 20 cu in is the deepest single gang box available. And
with two sets of 14-2 wires spliced, I used up 17 cu in of nominal space
(2x4x2 + 1).

Yes, it's a 3-way/4-way switch circuit, but the neutral is delivered to
the electrical box with the switches by a different cable that does not
pass through this junction box.

So: by adding a 14-2 wire and an outlet to this box, I will technically
be going over the wire limit. But practically, the box will only be
about half full.

Ah, I got you. So you are going to have to pull another cable into the
box, that is what I was missing.

Do you have access to the backside of this wall? could you use a 1900
(4" square) box with a mud ring?

nate

Yes, I have access to the back, but I can't replace the box. It's
tightly between two studs.