Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Hammer Drill or Rotary Hammer for poured concrete wall

On 9/25/2010 6:56 PM, RogerT wrote:
(snip)
+++++++++++++

Thanks. Here's the update. I bought a rotary hammer at Harbor Freight
today for $79.95 and a $15.95 set of 5 SDS masonry drill bits.

Drilling with the rotary hammer went pretty well -- a lot easier than I
thought it would. But after drilling 5 or 6 quarter-inch holes in a
U-shape at the top of the wall, I had a pretty hard time breaking out
what was left to create the hole. It turns out that the poured concrete
wall is about 12 inches thick.

I tried hitting it with a hammer but that didn't work. Then I tried
using the hammer/"chipper" attachment that came with the rotary hammer
with it set in just the "hammer" position. That worked a little, but not
too well. The problem is that the only chipper attachment that came with
the rotary hammer was a pointed one. That tends to bore in but not break
off pieces too well. What I think I need is a chipper with a flat blade
on the end. I had a small pry bar with me with a flat edge and that
worked a little better by trying the use that as a chisel, but I either
needed to have a regular flat edge cold chisel with me (which I didn't),
or I need to get the flat chisel attachment for the rotary hammer.

So, the job only 2/3 done and I'll finish it when I get the right chisel
tool and/or attachment, and I think the rest of the job will go pretty
easily.

But thanks again for suggesting the rotary hammer. I'm glad I bought it
and it does work well. I just need the right type of chisel attachment
and/or a flat blade cold chisel at this point.

So several hours of hard labor and 100 bucks later, you still aren't
done. But at least you had fun, and got a new tool out of it, even if it
is only a HF special.

Stuff like that, I'd rather call somebody in who owns the right tool (in
this case a core drill). and has done it before. Around here, that hole
done by a concrete cutting sub would have run maybe $150, and he would
have been in and out in an hour. And the hole would have been pretty.

But that's just me. I do understand the satisfaction of not letting a
challenge defeat you and all. But lately, now that I have a little
cashflow, some things just don't seem worth the hassle any more.

--
aem sends....