Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Archon Archon is offline

Default TV turns off plugged into surge protector

On 9/25/2010 2:38 PM, westom wrote:
On Sep 25, 1:24 pm, wrote:
You seem to be missing the point.
OP wanted to know whysurgepower strip ceased to work
I had direct experience of same and explained

When a power strip surge protector circuit fails, it leaves the load
(TV) still connected to AC mains and the surge. It only disconnects
protector circuits to protect them; not the appliance.

Why did that TV not work when connected directly to the wall? Why
did that TV work when connected via a cheap power strip? Protector
circuit does nothing to change that electricity. Mechanical reasons
(ie a three prong plug holds firmly while a two prong plug does not)
would explain those symptoms. Why are you harping on some irrelevant
electrical functions in a protector that does nothing for Jo's
problem? A TV connected to a cheap protector connects directly to AC
mains. Why would the TV not black out? More likely reason is a
mechanical problem - ie a failing wall receptacle.

****, must have been my wall socket as well..........darn it wasted all
my time, shoulda changed the wall socket......DUH, how stupid of me.

OP did not state TV did not work plugged directly into wall socket.
OP stated it worked on another power strip.

You really have issues dontcha.

JC