Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default All toilets created equal?

On 9/24/2010 8:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 24, 11:30 am, Jeff wrote:
On 9/23/2010 6:24 PM, Jim Beaver wrote:

I've got 3 standard U.S. residential toilets in my house--all
different models but all bought at the same place a few years back.
Two of the three work just fine.

They have flush ratings now, a 1 to 10 scale, toilets are not all the
same. Get a 10 and replace the one you have.

I'm happy with my Kohler 1.28 Cimmaron, the old old always had
problems.

Jeff

But the third one stops up with solid

waste probably two out of three flushes. (It usually clears after 2-4
extra flushes, but sometimes requires a plunger.) My contractor
assures me that the waste pipes into which the toilets empty are all
the same size, so it seems clear it's an issue with this toilet.
Looking at the S-pipe outline on the lower side of the toilet, it
seems as though the path from bowl to floor waste pipe is pretty
similar on all three toilets. But only this one gets stopped up. (And
yes, the same people are using all three toilets.)

Are the internal workings of the bowl-to-waste-pipe path standard from
company to company, or is there a wide range of variations? How can I
replace this toilet and be assured that the same problem won't result?

Jim B.

"they have flush ratings now, a 1 to 10 scale"

I'm not doubting your statement about a 1 - 10 scale, but I'd just
like share my experience.

Having just shopped for a toilet - but only at HD and Lowes - all of
the toilets were rated on a scale of 1 - 5.

Maybe if I had gone to a plumbing supply house, I might have seen a
different scale but the borgs only went up to 5 - and I don't think
that means that their best toilets are rated 5 on 1 - 10 scale.

Go figure.

The ones I saw had a 1 - 10 flush rating with some labeled with the
WaterSense logo. Perhaps a local partnership with the government.

I asked about the ratings and was told that they measured this by
flushing bags of beans. The toilets I saw ranged from 3 - 10. A 3 being
only 30% flushed. I assumed this was universal... apparently not!

Regardless, get a good flushing toilet whatever the rating system is.
Google reveals little... The sites related are a mess.

Jeff