Posted to alt.home.repair
westom westom is offline
Senior Member

Default control boards in modern appliances

On Sep 24, 1:41 pm, bud-- wrote:
One of w_tom, akawestom's, rants was that not only was a water service
pipe not required to be used as a earthing electrode, it must absolutely
not be used as an earthing electrode.

He was exposed as a repeated liar. So Bud must misrepresent what I
said so as to insult. Bud is a sales promoter of scam products. He
will not even admit to promoting his company products. He lies about
what I posted because I identified him as unethical.

So many including Saltydog and HeyBub are now repeating what I
accurately posted so many years ago. And was attacked by Bud because
that is what a sales promoter does. Only earthing electrode that is
insufficient is the cold water pipe. I said it then and was attacked
by Bud for accurately citing code. All other electrodes are
sufficient to meet code. I said it then and I repeat it again - into
Bud's lying face. The only electrode that must always be supplemented
by any other electrode is a cold water pipe.

Cold water pipe (with some rare exceptions) is insufficient as an
earth ground according to paragraph 250.53(D)(2). Bud denied what
that paragraph said in 2002 - and still denies it today.

Brian and Joseph McPartland in their book "National Electrical Code
Handbook" (at least 25 editions) are even blunter in contradicting the
electrically naive Bud:
For many years now, ... the water pipe is the least acceptable electrode and is the only one that may never be
used by itself as the sold electrode. It must always be supplemented by a least one "additional" grounding
electrode. Any one of the other grounding electrodes ... is acceptable as the sole grounding electrode, by
itself.

Saltydog and so many other posters are correct. Up until 1978, a
water pipe was the best earthing electrode. Then code changed. Cold
water pipe electrode is now the least acceptable earth ground. Code
changed decades ago. It required nasty Bud to read paragraph 250.53(D)
(2) rather than attack others to promote his scam products..

Whereas a cold water pipe meets the definition of an earthing
electrode, it is the only electrode so insufficient as to require any
other earthing electrode. After 25 years, Bud still cannot learn that
a cold water pipe is insufficient earthing. That would requirement
him to learn facts rather than post insults.

In most cases, if the water pipe ground is the only earth ground,
then earthing is insufficient for surge protection. Critical to
protection is a short connection to earth - ie 'less than 10 feet'
with no sharp wire bends and other requirements. Even pipe solder
joints can compromise that earth ground. Pipe grounds are
insufficient when too far away. Just another reason why most pre-1990
buildings need earthing upgrades. Do not have sufficient earthing
also for surge protection. Ground alone does not avert more ‘dead
canaries’. But a short connection to single point ground is essential
– one requirement - to appliance protection. Which again contradicts
nasty Bud's lies and says why his products will not avert the OP's
damage..