Posted to sci.electronics.repair
westom westom is offline
Senior Member

Default TV turns off plugged into surge protector

On Sep 24, 4:57 pm, Archon wrote:
Its a while back now but I think it had a MOV inside and some crappy
little circuit board. I didn't spend much time looking at it, it annoyed
me as I needed to use the equipment connected to it and didn't have a
spare strip available. So very hasty hatchet job.

Any protector damaged by a surge was never doing any protection. In
any facility that can never have damage, the protector is always
located at the service entrance (ie breaker box) with the always
required shot connection to earth.

TV connects directly to AC mains if plugged into that cheap
protector. Only thing between the TV and AC mains a 15 amp circuit
breaker. CB exists on every power strip - with or without protector
circuits. Nothing inside a power strip protector changes electricity.

If the wall receptacle is worn (must be replaced), then a two prong
TV plug can be intermittent. A three prong power strip plug would be
held firmly. TVs also have internal protector circuits. That
safety lockout is reset only by unplugging the TV. Two possible
reasons for TV failure.