Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Archon Archon is offline

Default TV turns off plugged into surge protector

On 9/24/2010 4:49 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Does the cheap surge protector have a circuit breaker, or similar device?
These can gradually develop a high series resistance. This will cause the
breaker to heat up and open.

I was warned some years ago by a fire marshal that such cheap surge
protector often cause fires by overheating.

Its a while back now but I think it had a MOV inside and some crappy
little circuit board. I didn't spend much time looking at it, it annoyed
me as I needed to use the equipment connected to it and didn't have a
spare strip available. So very hasty hatchet job.
JC