Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default Woodworker II Saw Blade / Boshield

On Sep 24, 3:00*pm, Neil Brooks wrote:
On Sep 24, 2:10*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:54:32 -0500, woodstuff wrote:
For that matter, many people have luck with [insert your favorite brand]
paste wax ... provided it does NOT contain silicons (which mess with
whatever finish you'd later apply).

Since I sand *after* cutting the pieces, silicone isn't a problem. *Isn't
that the usual sequence?

Sure.

I suspect there's a question about how far a silicon might penetrate
into the wood, and whether your sanding will remove ALL of it, though.

*Since* [fixed typo] there are a boatload of good waxes, for woodworking use, that
do not have silicon in them, it might be better to look at it (using a
wax that contains silicon) as ... some risk, very little reward.

This is one of those "conventional wisdom" issues. *It seems
consistent across LOTS of websites. *It also sounds intuitively
reasonable to me.

But .... I don't know it to be The Gospel ;-)