Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] PlainBill47@yawho.com is offline

Default TV turns off plugged into surge protector

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:26:19 -0700 (PDT), Jo
wrote:

I have a very inexpensive surge protector with my digital cable box
and 19" CRT tv plugged into it. Last night, about 1 min after I turned
the tv on, it turned off and would not turn back on. I unplugged it
and plugged it back in and the same thing happened again. So I got out
a power strip and plugged it into the same wall outlet. I plugged the
tv into the power strip and the tv worked normally. What does this
mean? Is something wrong with the surge protector or the tv? The cable
box works fine plugged into the surge protector.

You have 'Electronics Hell'. The parts pass (rudimentary) tests, but
do not work together.

How many outlets are ther in this 'very inexpensive surge protector'?
Have you tried another outlet on the surge protector, or swapping the
TV and cable box plugs to the other outlets if there are no spare
outlets?

If this is an ultra cheap surge protector the most likely cause is a
poor contact between the TV plug and the metal strip in the outlet.

Granted, it's only a cable box and a TV that could be replaced by
picking up a free one on Craigslist, but using an inexpensive surge
protector is a little like buying the cheapest parachute for
skydiving. And no, I'm not suggesting buying a $50 Monster AV800.

PlainBill