Simon Avery

Default Double glazing - two misted windows

Nozza wrote:

Hello Nozza

N| Our house was built seven years ago. The house came with
N| UPVC double glazing installed.
N| Both south facing bedrooms have a double glazed unit
N| consisting of two opening windows on either side of a
N| central, non opening, window. In both rooms, one of the
N| opening windows looks as though there is condensation
N| inside.

Units have failed. There is no onsite way of repairing them, anyone
who says different is a bodger.

N| What are the "Window Doctor" type services like?

Sometimes just a salesman, sometimes a genuine guy.

N| be able to fix this sort of thing? I presume both windows
N| are "sealed units"? How much would such a service cost? What
N| are peoples views of this sort of thing? Is it something I
N| could *easily* fix myself?

You need to have the units replaced, sorry. Hopefully they're stock
sizes (common in modern houses) and it's an off-the-shelf replacement.

Either installation or manufacture could have caused the premature
failure, btw, maybe you have some sort of warrantee with your house
that may include this? Maybe your insurance does?

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/