Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Well pump comes on after only 2 gallons used???

On Sep 23, 8:17*pm, millinghill wrote:
It sounds like something could be restricting the flow of water into the tank,
if the bladder is good and properly pressurized.

You did measure the tank pressure with no water left in it?-

I measured the tank air pressure with the pump electrical cord
unplugged and the enough water withdrawn to just trigger the low
pressure switch to come on.
I will also try to let all the water out of the tank and see what the
air pressure reads.
Honestly, the tank doesn't SOUND water logged. *Knocking on the tank
anywhere above the sweat line makes it ping like a bell. *Wouldn't it
thud if waterlogged?

I haved never seen a case where the pressure jumped around like that.
Please posst back when you find the problem.

Probably repeating (but adding a bit) to what has been said.

Drain the tank then measure the precharge. I should be 2psi below cut
in OR the same as cut-in depending what outfit makes the
recommendation - 2psi below seems to be the standard though. I think
you said cut-in is 28 and precharge 30. That is too high.

While the tank is empty it won't hurt to pull the small riser pipe to
the pressure switch. I had to ream mine out due to erratic operation.

Harry K