Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Baseball bats - Ash vs. Maple?

On 9/24/10 12:19 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 24, 12:54 am, wrote:
On 9/23/10 10:32 PM, Kevin wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:34:39 -0500,
wrote:

The trend has seemed to go to the favor of lighter bats to get faster
bat speed. Babe Ruth and other prolific hitters of his time used very
heavy bats, well over 40oz. If you see old footage of Babe Ruth's swing,
you can see that bat speed wasn't of much concern to him. :-) He sort of
flicked the bat out and caught the ball at the apex of his swing,
allowing the trampoline effect of the wood's flex to transfer all that
mass to the ball.

Home run hitter of today are only concerned with bat speed. They will us
a 32 oz bat and let bat speed do the work.

And they are also putting that weight out in the barrel by making the
handles thinner, and voila they break more often. There's no minimum
diameters specified, only the maximum.

Thinner handles contribute to more flex, too, adding to the trampoline
effect.

I hit another homerun tonight and it was all bat. :-)

That musta really left that rubber tee flapping, eh?
.
.
.
.
g, d& r

:-)
Reminds me of those tees at the driving range. Golf is not my forte'.
My golf and bowling scores are usually about the same.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--