Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Well pump comes on after only 2 gallons used???

In article , millinghill wrote:

I suspect a problem because it sounds very peculiar that withdrawing
only 2gallons will cause a pump cycle. If the usable capacity is
around 18gallons, it sounds weird that I only actively use 10% of
that. That's why I'm concerned.

Note that the pressures measured on your gauge are psig; the relevant
information is the absolute pressures in psia, which are 1 atm = about 15 psi
higher.

So... cut-in of 30psig, cut-out of 50psig = 45psia and 65psia respectively.

Increasing the pressure in an empty tank from 45psia to 65psia means reducing
the volume of air by (65 - 45) / 65 = 31%. 31% of a 32-gallon tank is about
ten gallons.

So you're not getting anywhere near the drawdown you should.

My conclusion is that your tank is waterlogged.