Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Archon Archon is offline

Default Fender Showman from 1963

On 9/22/2010 9:18 PM, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 22/09/2010 17:39, N_Cook wrote:

Closer look and the cotton covering to the wiring between the output
heaters
is "perished", crumbling to dust, and needs replacing. Strange having
a load
of Mullard, Brimar and Z&I Aero valves to test

Z&I Aero!!! I haven't heard that name for over 40 years. That was when
their shop in Tottenham Court Road was worth visiting, followed by a
stroll to Proops, and then onto Lisle Street. Are there any surplus
places worth visiting today?

--

Jeff

I still have a Z&I Aero (Zaerix) glossy covered catalogue / data book in
near pristine condition. It has data on lovely old things like VCR97
'scope tubes, and has all the prices in pounds, shillings and pence ! Oh
those lovely old days of skiving off school for the day and jumping on
the train to London to go to Tottenham Court Road and Lisle Street. Into
Henry's Radio ... I bought my first 'hifi' amplifier in Proops.
snip
Arfa

I'm surprised you didn't build the "Texan amplifier" sold by Henry's,

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/paulkemble/sound8h.html

I must have built 10 of those for me and my mates, then spent many happy
hours replacing the unprotected output transistors! They did sound good
cranked up (with a good heatsink)!

JC